• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

EWU Bob

The Disappearance of Michael Madden: Missing Since 08/10/1996 Missing 411

This is an interesting case that's in one of the Missing 411 books. This is the mysterious disappearance of Michael Madden, who vanished on 08/10/1996. 

On August 10th 1996 at 5 am, Michael loaded up his vehicle with fishing and camping gear and his best friend (dog) Matilda to head out to Sand Bar Flat, a location known to him very well. He had spent many nights camping at this location with his father, but this time he was heading out there alone. He left a note with his mother to explain his plans. 

Michael Madden was a student at Humboldt College and wanted to be a park ranger after he graduated! According to family, he knew the area very well, was very well versed in surviving out there, and they don't believe he would have gotten lost.

Two days later, four of his friends decided to head up to see Michael. They arrived at his campsite at about 2 am and were very disturbed by what they found. As they arrived at the campsite, there was a massive bonfire where Michael's campsite was located, but no sign of Michael or his dog Matilda. A creepy man came out of the bushes at Michael's campsite holding a firearm and asking what the kids were doing there. The man, later identified as Joey Tine, asked the kids if they were looking for "Mikey", a name that Michael had never gone by and never liked being called. He was holding a 45 caliber hand gun. The kids said that Joey Tine was repeatedly cocking his firearm for the next six hours while his friends waited for Michael to return. It appeared to the kids that Joey Tine was wearing Michael's boots! 

When Michael didn't return to his campsite by the next day, his friends reported him missing to the authorities. There was a subsequent search for Michael, but no evidence of his whereabouts was ever found. Oddly, his dog arrived back at the campsite 4 days later, dehydrated, but appeared to have been fed. The dog was unable lead authorities to Michael. 

Nine months later, Joey Tine was given a polygraph test, and the results have never been revealed. There are currently no suspects in the case and Joey Tine has never been arrested in connection with the disappearance. Police checked Joey Tine's firearm and found it had no spent shell casing. 

So far there have been no arrests in the case and the authorities believe he was met with foul play. There was a serial killer in the area during this time name Cary Stayner who was convicted of murder in the 1990's. Maddens' disappearance happens to also be located in a 411 cluster, according to David Paulides. This case remains unsolved today and there have been no arrested in the case! 

Michael's mother passed away in 2004, never knowing what happened to her son. His father passed away in 2008.

There are more details on this case that I cannot divulge at this time, but I wanted to hear what you thought about it. Any ideas? Any thoughts? 

*Details of this story are subject to change ... just trust me on this! 

• Like 1

Initially reading up on this there's a couple of things I've  noticed. 

In a write up about his dad's death, it mentions the campsite is somewhere they've been going to since he was young.  Its entirely plausible that Tine had known Micheal since he was a kid - this could be an explanation as to why he knew him as Mikey and therefore not actually making him odd or out of place. 

There is no mention anywhere I've seen (so far) that talks about his friends, if they were completely ruled out? It actually seems stranger to me they'd roll up to his campsite at 2am than Tine passing by with his gun in a hunting area. 

Have they been looked at as suspects? Perhaps Tine walked in on them acting suspicious so decided to stick around. 

Seems interesting.  Will look into it more over the next week or so.  It's been investigated by the Tuolumne County Sheriff's Office, I doubt it as its an unsolved case, but does anyone happen to know if any of their reports / interviews are available anywhere? 

• Love 1

We have been in contact with some of those who were there that night, and we are going to be making a video on this. We have learned some interesting details that have never been revealed. I honestly don't think the ones I have talked too had anything to do with it, and I can reveal why later of course. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

My question were the friends able to leave at any time with the man holding the gun. Being held at gunpoint is an offense. Did the man  just let them go six hours later?  

They were free to leave whenever they wanted, but they were waiting for their friend to return. Some very strange things about this case that we will cover in the video, but the snow is preventing us from actually covering it right now. 

Polygraph- Results were inconclusive do to dude is a nutjob OR inconclusive because the "Detectives" had a hard time distinguishing between Truth and Fiction.? It was all Truth detective. Here's the thing they like to say nothing or say the term Inconclusive when they actually have results, then turn to US the public and Go "We need your help solving this" after they go cold for 20yrs. Then we get to see the real Shizz. Grain of salt even when they Do divulge "Truths" on case's, that's why we all contribute to crowd sourcing and helping Family members, literally NO one else is they're way too busy playing games. EWU can break down walls other's can't, 😉 y'all have a gift. This place now opens a free flowing crowd source back and forth safe spot, I see A LOT of blessings about to flow through here!!🙌🙌

• Like 1