• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

2 hours ago, Random Outdoor Fun said:

Finally got a Jeep but still needs work, it's hubby's. Pic of in the pine barrens NJ. It's a 4-cylinder manual 2-door. Not a lot of power but it is fun to drive.

front.jpg

Out looking for the Jersey Devil???

• Love 2
  • Like 2

The trusty old '83 that has always got me home. Front and rear e-lockers, winch bumper to hold the mile marker hydraulic winch, rock sliders, transmission and transfer case skid plate, upgraded power steering pump, header and comp cams camshaft.  Mostly played in the snow through the years but took it on the Rubicon last year which was way more rough than I thought it would be. Bent the rear driveshaft, took it out for the 4 hour drive home lol. 

toyplowing.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Random Outdoor Fun said:

Finally got a Jeep but still needs work, it's hubby's. Pic of in the pine barrens NJ. It's a 4-cylinder manual 2-door. Not a lot of power but it is fun to drive.

front.jpg

Nice Jeep, I remember when you mentioned getting it. Are you able to get to a bunch of new places now? 

18 minutes ago, MB64 said:

The trusty old '83 that has always got me home. Front and rear e-lockers, winch bumper to hold the mile marker hydraulic winch, rock sliders, transmission and transfer case skid plate, upgraded power steering pump, header and comp cams camshaft.  Mostly played in the snow through the years but took it on the Rubicon last year which was way more rough than I thought it would be. Bent the rear driveshaft, took it out for the 4 hour drive home lol. 

toyplowing.jpg

Nice rig, how often do you find yourself locking the front diff? 

• Love 1

14 hours ago, EWU Bob said:

Nice rig, how often do you find yourself locking the front diff? 

Not nearly as often as the rear. 90% of the time just doing the rear locker gets me through. Other times just using the front helps, just flip switches till something seems to work lol. Very handy to have though and a selectable locker is so nice to have. Have to see how it handles the Arizona desert, already having a bit of fun on my own property trying to get stuck. Done a couple trails here and there years ago east of Phoenix that were cakewalk. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, EWU Bob said:

Nice Jeep, I remember when you mentioned getting it. Are you able to get to a bunch of new places now? 

Not as often as I'd like to. I'm finding I'm going to more places with our Acadia now and that's not even 4wd. Although, I did try to find the ghost town of Peale PA - that failed partially because of the Acadia not being able to go over the terrain. Peale PA was too far for the Jeep to travel to from our home, it's about 4 hours away. But, we did hike up that trail after I parked the Acadia off to the side, only to find nothing of what we were looking for (abandoned train tunnel and other foundations - I believe they were out further). Pic (video still) of of me scoping out the potential...wasn't going to happen which turned out to be a good thing. There was a portion of trail further up that was washed out.

peale.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Why was it too far for the jeep, is it a comfort issue? I have heard some say that their Jeep was not comfortable for long trips. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, EWU Bob said:

Why was it too far for the jeep, is it a comfort issue? I have heard some say that their Jeep was not comfortable for long trips. 

Definite comfort issue for the kids (my son is tall) and the other thing is, since it's a 4-cylinder manual...65 mph is pushing it and most highways here are 70 mph. Feels like I should be driving with my 4-ways (hazard lights) on when I drive it on the highways, lol.
My one friend has a 4-door Jeep Wrangler and we tagged along with him when we went to Centralia. I sat in the back and it wasn't very comfortable.

• Love 1

On 12/29/2019 at 2:25 AM, Bubbajen77 said:

FB_IMG_1577610590268.jpg

FB_IMG_1577610582423.jpg

Squarebox 1979 GMC..  My teenage dream!! But I owned my high school dream car much later in life ...in my 40's! Anyway we don't have this truck sad to say, we traded it for a '96 chevy...to haul our travel trailer around we upgraded.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 10:33 AM, EWU Bob said:

Most older jeeps (tj's, yj's ) ride like a brick, then when you start tweaking them they ride worse. Add a lift, short arm kit, oversize tires, and freeways can be scary. Being on the freeway and catching "death wobble" will get your hear beating.

• Like 1

I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler that's been moded a bit: 4.5 R/E short arm lift. 33-12.5-15's, D44 in the rear, ARB lockers front and rear. Chromoly Axles, beefed up skid plates. rock sliders, winch, Light bar. Spider internal roll cage. bunch of other stuff. 🙂  It's built to crawl however I'm more of a trail run guy, but I figured if I over did it on the jeep is should be capable of getting me out of any situation I might get myself into.

IJ7FnoB.jpg02GO0D7.jpgrcF1FEp.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, danhood said:

..., but I figured if I over did it on the jeep is should be capable of getting me out of any situation I might get myself into.

Looks like a beast. Like it very much. Certainly hope so, especially if you're solo.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, wimc said:

Looks like a beast. Like it very much. Certainly hope so, especially if you're solo.

Both, I do go solo and with a Facebook group called Nevada Ghosttowners.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, danhood said:

Both, I do go solo and with a Facebook group called Nevada Ghosttowners.

Groups would be fun, everyone has each others back. Unless of course, solo is preferred or vice versa or equally.

I have no experience with a group.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, danhood said:

Thanks!

I need to get a spare gas can setup like you got. I wonder if they make anything like that for the 4runner. 

18 hours ago, danhood said:

I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler that's been moded a bit: 4.5 R/E short arm lift. 33-12.5-15's, D44 in the rear, ARB lockers front and rear. Chromoly Axles, beefed up skid plates. rock sliders, winch, Light bar. Spider internal roll cage. bunch of other stuff. 🙂  It's built to crawl however I'm more of a trail run guy, but I figured if I over did it on the jeep is should be capable of getting me out of any situation I might get myself into.

IJ7FnoB.jpg02GO0D7.jpgrcF1FEp.jpg

The center photo looks like somewhere in Owens Valley, east of Independence. The bottom photo looks like either Unionville or Olinghouse, Nevada.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EWU Bob said:

I need to get a spare gas can setup like you got. I wonder if they make anything like that for the 4runner. 

I would think so as 4runners are popular overland rigs so somebody should make something like that.

• Like 1

Good eye DAW, I think you're right about that being Unionville! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DAW89446 said:

The center photo looks like somewhere in Owens Valley, east of Independence. The bottom photo looks like either Unionville or Olinghouse, Nevada.

Center photo is Dixie Valley and you nailed the last photo in Unionville. 🙂

• Like 1