• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

EWU Bob

(FOUND SAFE) Two Hunters Missing Near Elko, NV (Montello Nevada)

Two men went missing last night near Elko, NV. (Specifically Montello Nevada) More information here:

• Love 9
  • Like 2

Damn I hope they find them soon. I couldn't imagine having a loved one lost out there and feeling so helpless. At least it isn't in Pershing county!   Thanks for spreading the word, Bob.  

• Love 4
  • Like 2

Sounds like the search has been called off due to snow! I might need to get some snow chains after all and head out there! I hope they are found safely! 

• Love 5
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

That's not far off of I-80.    Seems a lot of people go missing off that road. If you head that way Bob be careful buddy. 

• Love 6
  • Like 2

If search and rescue are going back for another search, we will stay out of the area. Last thing we would want to do is hinder the official search and rescue. 

• Love 2
  • Like 4

I wonder if they crossed over into Utah or are still in Nevada?    Hopefully hear some good news tomorrow.

If their phones are dead, I'm assuming they are away from the truck...hope not.

• Love 6
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Rustednut63 said:

I wonder if they crossed over into Utah or are still in Nevada?    Hopefully hear some good news tomorrow.

If their phones are dead, I'm assuming they are away from the truck...hope not.

I am trying to find out if they know where the phones were last pinged so we have a general idea of where to even start. I was thinking either phones are dead, or they just don't have any reception where they are located. I can't imagine their phones being dead if they have a 2017 Ford, I assume the Fords have some charging docks?

• Love 3
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, EWU Bob said:

I am trying to find out if they know where the phones were last pinged so we have a general idea of where to even start. I was thinking either phones are dead, or they just don't have any reception where they are located. I can't imagine their phones being dead if they have a 2017 Ford, I assume the Fords have some charging docks?

Power points I'm sure. But a busted charging cable?  Lost or smashed a phone? Bad service area down in some canyon terrain or something?  Or lost away from the truck?  Snow in the region. They could have gotten turned around in a white out. 

• Love 4
  • Like 3

Just now, That other Dave said:

Power points I'm sure. But a busted charging cable?  Lost or smashed a phone? Bad service area down in some canyon terrain or something?  Or lost away from the truck?  Snow in the region. They could have gotten turned around in a white out. 

Yeah, good point, that wouldn't be hard to do in a white out. They were hunting rabbit, so I am not sure if that adds anything or not. 

• Love 2
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, EWU Bob said:

Yea they have several charging ports in those. If they are saying SE  of Montello, it's fairly open country unless they went into the mountains further East. I see a good sized house or business along  Burro road down that way, so hopefully they are close to it.  

• Love 4
  • Like 1

Hopefully they find them in time so they return to their family safely. Maybe they lost their way to get back to their truck and ended up going somewhere but the strange part is the truck has not been found yet.

• Love 3
  • Like 1

I lived out in Elko and been around that area, there was no cell service back when I was out there. Plus that area has some strange folks living out there. The area is pretty much a lone road, with few who travel it. Only the people living out there and some hunters go out there.

I remember back in 2012 it took search and rescue and law enforcement a week to find two fugitives that were out in that area. Its pretty remote. 

I once broke down out there, had spotty cell service and it still took 12 hours for someone to come get me.

If you go out there be careful, the residents don't like trespassers.

My guess is they got stuck and have no service and are waiting by there truck till rescued. At least I hope that's all this is.

• Love 2
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

8 hours ago, EWU Bob said:

Yeah, good point, that wouldn't be hard to do in a white out. They were hunting rabbit, so I am not sure if that adds anything or not. 

It point to there location. There's only a few areas for cotton tail. If I was a betting man I'd say check the train tracks, everyone knows that's where you find rabbits.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

FYI Southeast of Montello NV near Lucin Utah men from Utah hunting suggests they were probably in Utah hunting. Rabbits aren't usually the sort of thing you'd bother getting a non resident license for. This area is on the state line. Patterson Pass sounds like a likely general area. 

Stating Near Elko may be a bit inaccurate as it's a 100 miles from the target area and they are likely in Utah. West Wendover near I80 NV/UT may be better.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, SteveHazard said:

FYI Southeast of Montello NV near Lucin Utah men from Utah hunting suggests they were probably in Utah hunting. Rabbits aren't usually the sort of thing you'd bother getting a non resident license for. This area is on the state line. Patterson Pass sounds like a likely general area. 

Stating Near Elko may be a bit inaccurate as it's a 100 miles from the target area and they are likely in Utah. West Wendover near I80 NV/UT may be better.

Those points were the first thing that crossed my mind when reading the original post.

According to the family, their phones last pinged near Montello NV, maybe they were hunting Jack Rabbits, no hunting license required for Jack Rabbits. 

• Love 2

I don’t see any mention of the residence of those two guys. Were they from Lucin? Salt Lake City? Somewhere in between? Unless from Lucin, I just cannot see any reason to go to the Montello Valley to shoot jackrabbits when they can do that at home.

Edit: Just looked at Google Maps, Lucin is just a railroad siding. I see no inhabited areas around except for Montello and Wendover.

• Like 1

I am not sure why they would want to go to Montello to hunt rabbit, but here is what a daughter told us: 

They were supposed to be hunting near Golden Spike/Promotory area but changed plans about 9am Saturday and spoke to a friend confirming they were headed to Montello, NV. Phones were last pinged at 10 am near Montello. 

• Sad 1

Letting people know where they are from would help a lot. Just because they pinged off of a tower in Montello at 10AM doesn't mean they got into trouble there, they could of gotten into trouble on the way back hours later? Where is back? That's important. Could be someplace else quite far. 

• Like 1

It appears they are from the Ogden area, but this is going based off one of their Facebook profiles. This is what I find most frustrating about these types of situations, not enough information is given from the start. Usually internet reception wouldn't be a problem on the highway, so unless they were taking back roads home, they should of had cell phone reception. I wish I could get the GPS coordinates of the ping to give a more specific area of where they were before they lost reception. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

This is the first official news story on where these guys went.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://kjzz.com/news/local/2-utah-hunters-reported-missing-in-nevada&ved=2ahUKEwjRo-njsbbnAhVEJTQIHfndCdwQFjABegQIDBAH&usg=AOvVaw3XUM00i7P6oaTxpkC522kG&cshid=1580767598238

They have a couple of pictures of the area. I could see a couple of buddies taking a really long back way home and not making it due to weather or terrain.

Phones ping off available towers.  Could be miles and miles away but it's the only available tower for the phone to register on.  

• Love 4

Just now, That other Dave said:

Phones ping off available towers.  Could be miles and miles away but it's the only available tower for the phone to register on.  

True!

• Love 1