• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

dragonking12

Coronavirus outbreak

They closed the parks, state parks in the Columbia River Gorge, even trails.

Lots of very popular areas.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

What sort of products, particularly food, do we import from other countries that have not been hit hard yet but most likely will? Fortunately as a country I believe we export more then we import in regards to food but some things are probably going to be effected in the future. Something to consider when deciding what to "try" to stock up on. 

• Like 3

Hopefully this will all be a wake up call to start producing more here. I have heard we import a lot of our pharmaceuticals from India, and they are keeping most of it for themselves, in addition to getting a lot of our PPE from China. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Is anyone starting to see supplies being replenished at their local stores, or is the panic buying still going on in your area? 

• Love 2

8 minutes ago, EWU Bob said:

Is anyone starting to see supplies being replenished at their local stores, or is the panic buying still going on in your area? 

Hoarding is being curtailed with restrictions on some products. Except for the one time, the shelves are pretty full. Sanitizers are scarce unless you go to a convenient store. Expect to pay 2 to 3 times the usual. It's not perfect but a far cry from a couple of weeks ago.

• Love 2

9 hours ago, EWU Bob said:

Panic still going on and I am about to punching a kuola in the throat because of this🤣

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Darzen Rodrigues said:

Panic still going on and I am about to punching a kuola in the throat because of this🤣

One thing I should note, food is plenty here in Toronto but the toiletries and other non-food items are scarce. We gotta shake our heads and laugh. 

• Like 2

On 3/26/2020 at 6:41 PM, EWU Bob said:

My store still is low on stock for most items.

• Sad 2

Haven't ventured out, so no idea whats happening in town.

Both of my sisters live in town, and they haven't called to report any kind of drama.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, wimc said:

Haven't ventured out, so no idea whats happening in town.

Both of my sisters live in town, and they haven't called to report any kind of drama.

Hoping that no news is good news.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

My biggest problem with this is there are so many people in America saying it’s no big deal and the flu is worse ... I’m sorry but America has the no1 spot for amount of cases in the world as off the other day and it is still rising ! The reason ? Nobody is taking it seriously 😑 I keep saying to the people I talk to that I hope someone they love don’t die because all of a sudden it will become extremely real 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Highlander said:

My biggest problem with this is there are so many people in America saying it’s no big deal and the flu is worse ... I’m sorry but America has the no1 spot for amount of cases in the world as off the other day and it is still rising ! The reason ? Nobody is taking it seriously 😑 I keep saying to the people I talk to that I hope someone they love don’t die because all of a sudden it will become extremely real 

You're exactly right. I've been mostly staying in, staying put. I ran to the grocery store a few days ago and it was like nothing was happening. People everywhere. No distancing. I guess when that's the only place you're allowed to go, it becomes a party. Morons. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

The idiots that say it's like the flu piss me off. H1N1 was a novel flu. It's peak global deaths per day was about 2000 and took over six months to get there. Yesterday SARS cov2 killed 3273 people and we are only in this about 3 months and while taking drastic measures. And yes I think we should start calling it SARS cov2 so hopefully idiots will stop associating it as a flu. Also I watch a simulation video on spread by 3blue1brown. Pretty interesting but the biggest take away I got from it was that the biggest issue with spread is centeral hubs. AKA places like the grocery store where we are all forced to go and it is difficult to maintain proper social distancing if others are not practicing it. 

Also I keep seeing a mortality rate of 1% thrown out there? How the hell are they coming up at this number? What if every person that gets it gets access to great medical care, ventilators, etc, maybe.... but that's not going to happen. If you look at the global number of closed cases of either recovered of died it's terrible, it's 17%. Now I get those numbers only account for tested people so there are people that got it and didn't get symptoms bad enough to warrant testing and recovered but to bring that down that far? I doubt that.  

'"This is a rescue mission you are on, to save lives. [...] You are living a moment in history that will change and forge character" - Governor Cuomo

For those who want it, more USA data on exoscience.

8 hours ago, Highlander said:

I am really curious to the mortality rate in the US, it seems if they tested more, it might even go down to the level of the flu, but again, I am talking without having any information, so I could be totally wrong. Any updated stats? I gotta start looking this stuff up before posting. 🤣

6 hours ago, SteveHazard said:

The idiots that say it's like the flu piss me off. H1N1 was a novel flu. It's peak global deaths per day was about 2000 and took over six months to get there. Yesterday SARS cov2 killed 3273 people and we are only in this about 3 months and while taking drastic measures. And yes I think we should start calling it SARS cov2 so hopefully idiots will stop associating it as a flu. Also I watch a simulation video on spread by 3blue1brown. Pretty interesting but the biggest take away I got from it was that the biggest issue with spread is centeral hubs. AKA places like the grocery store where we are all forced to go and it is difficult to maintain proper social distancing if others are not practicing it. 

Also I keep seeing a mortality rate of 1% thrown out there? How the hell are they coming up at this number? What if every person that gets it gets access to great medical care, ventilators, etc, maybe.... but that's not going to happen. If you look at the global number of closed cases of either recovered of died it's terrible, it's 17%. Now I get those numbers only account for tested people so there are people that got it and didn't get symptoms bad enough to warrant testing and recovered but to bring that down that far? I doubt that.  

I wonder how many cases are being passed through the mail and delivery channels like UPS and FedEx? They say it can live for up to 24 hours on cardboard, so I have been sanitizing everything that we get from delivery trucks.

I have been hearing it's getting bad at Amazon, with some saying that each box goes through hundreds of hands. and many Amazon workers testing positive for the virus.

I still want to see some real world mortality statistics from the US.

Sounds like we have the most reliable testing. I have heard some creepy conspiracies of something like 23 million Chinese have suddenly vanished, or at least their cell phone plans have. Some are suggesting it's been 23 million deaths, but again, it's all speculation and who knows what's really going on in China. They did build a bunch of hospitals in China though, so maybe it is worse than we are being told, or maybe it's not so bad and the governments are using the crisis to line their own pockets with Stimulus money. Of course you can't make up all the deaths we are seeing every day from this virus. 

I know, some crazy conspiracies going on out there, but we have had many that turned out to be true in the past.

What do you all think? 

A few days old, but from the CDC website: 

Summary

What is already known about this topic?

Early data from China suggest that a majority of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) deaths have occurred among adults aged ≥60 years and among persons with serious underlying health conditions.

What is added by this report?

This first preliminary description of outcomes among patients with COVID-19 in the United States indicates that fatality was highest in persons aged ≥85, ranging from 10% to 27%, followed by 3% to 11% among persons aged 65–84 years, 1% to 3% among persons aged 55-64 years, <1% among persons aged 20–54 years, and no fatalities among persons aged ≤19 years.

What are the implications for public health practice?

COVID-19 can result in severe disease, including hospitalization, admission to an intensive care unit, and death, especially among older adults. Everyone can take actions, such as social distancing, to help slow the spread of COVID-19 and protect older adults from severe illness.

• Thanks 2

On 3/26/2020 at 8:41 PM, EWU Bob said:

I noticed bottled water is good now, but we do the Zero-Water pitcher filter (have 2 of them now). Meats seems to be more available now since they started limiting people.

Still no paper towels or TP. And my system can only handle Scott's TP 😞 I only purchased 2 - 12 packs during the panic and now can't find them at all, anywhere. We still are ok, but in another 2 more weeks, that'll be it.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, Random Outdoor Fun said:

I noticed bottled water is good now, but we do the Zero-Water pitcher filter (have 2 of them now). Meats seems to be more available now since they started limiting people.

Still no paper towels or TP. And my system can only handle Scott's TP 😞 I only purchased 2 - 12 packs during the panic and now can't find them at all, anywhere. We still are ok, but in another 2 more weeks, that'll be it.

Yeah, TP is still a problem everywhere I have looked too. Hopefully that will change soon. 

• Love 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Random Outdoor Fun said:

same, I have looked in my area and I have looked on amazon, They are still out. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1