• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

New Jersey Devil?

The infamous devil also known as the Leeds Devil from Pine Barrens is a folklore that has continuously evolve through out the centuries.  There's so many versions and many hoaxes about the devil that it is hard to keep track of the facts from the fables. But could there be a kernel of truth.

Random Outdoor Fun brought the Hammer Head bat to my attention on one of my threads and added that many believes that it could be the infamous Jersey Devil.

The Hammer Head bat is from Africa and can have a wing span of three feet. Its resemblance to the devil is quite amazing. Many websites indeed notes the similarity in appearance between the bat and the Jersey Devil which includes the loud noises it makes. The tales says that the devil is often heard screeching loudly while the Hammer Head's larynx is about half the size of its body. The males are renown for its ruckus. What do you think? How many people of the 18th century would have  known about such wildlife when many people today (including myself) didn't even knew they existed? As Random Outdoor Fun pointed out it still leaves the question on how it got here - in America. Just a coincidence? What do you think?

20200618_194825.thumb.jpg.cfdc215f740fc8b0b18cdf14e41de180.jpg

Nj.jpg.550f425da1e1a11e6d8e4cb6de01d1aa.jpg

B5.jpg.8ab39287b778c20aab85d7d3d26c41e4.jpg

• Like 3

This was one of those urban legends that I've always had a fascination with growing up in NJ. I didn't live in the Pine Barrens but sometimes heard stories from other people who had family that lived in the Pine Barrens, or near. With how many people actually reported seeing it is intriguing in itself.

My opinion over the years has changed, but, if people actually seen a creature like that...I'd say they most certainly seen the hammerhead bat. Could have been one of those side shows that purchased the creature to show in entertainment like circus's and escaped...but possibly never reported the escape or the news of never got around.

• Like 2

The resemblance is just too great to be ignored. Even playing the devil's advocate (pardon the pun) and the story is a fable, its creator must have known about this bat. To much of a coincidence. I like your angle on side shows. May be. It worth a check. I'll take a look.

• Like 2

Don't know the difference between fruit bats and blood suckers, sure hope that hammerhead bat isn't a blood sucker.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Don't worry about blood sucking, rather worry about the possibility that the bat is carrying the Ebola Virus.

• Love 1

21 minutes ago, ArcticThunder said:

Don't worry about blood sucking, rather worry about the possibility that the bat is carrying the Ebola Virus.

Didn't even think of that. Like we have enough going on.

• Like 2

I thought the jersey devil is like deer skull with human body or that just the Wendigo  or could it be the same thing .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I heard stories about that especially from my friend who was born there. I thought it was just an urban legend, like many mythical creatures that are created just for stories. Thanks for sharing it!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NiallNWD said:

I thought the jersey devil is like deer skull with human body or that just the Wendigo  or could it be the same thing .

The faces of the Jersey Devil are plenty. It originates, -so one of the stories goes, from a woman name Mrs Leeds who is pregnant with her 13th child. The child was cursed. Depending on the version you read, the child or its spirit morphed into a creature with a dragon head, bat wings and hooves. One of the pictures I saw, the creature appeared like a warewolf with bat wings. But the most popular image of the animal/ creature is the sketch that I submitted.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Darzen Rodrigues said:

I heard stories about that especially from my friend who was born there. I thought it was just an urban legend, like many mythical creatures that are created just for stories. Thanks for sharing it!!!

The stories are grandiose but most tales have a kernel of truth (not the cryptic or pararnormal side). Could someone have known about the Hammerhead bat and incorporated it into the lore? If not -what a crazy coincidence we have with respect to its appearance. I was amazed to learn how many people on the net believed that this bat may have been the origin of the devil -well at least to it's physical appearance and not the story. I didn't even know the Hammerhead existed. The New Jersey Devil's first reported incident was in the late 1700s.

• Like 1