• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

EWU Bob

BFG KO2 Tire Falling Apart?

Hit the freeway the other day and felt something fly off the tire, here is what I found. Almost looks like something sliced the tread off. Ever see anything like this before? 

BFG Tires.jpg

• Wow 3

It happens quite often to my brother in laws work trucks.  He thinks it is metal pieces of some sort that just get hit at the right angle and slice through the tire like that.  I can see the logic in his theory. 

• Like 3

That's the only thing I can think of too, the tire must have hit something sharp. A few days before this happened the tires felt like they were out of balance. 

• Like 2

Doesn't look good. Could that had blown if left as is eventually, if you haven't felt something.

• Like 3

Definitely looks like a sharp rock damaged it. For what it’s worth most pickups I see here at the gold mines run Toyo M55s, M/Ts and R/Ts, or Wrangler Duratracs and I know those tires get the snot beat out of them

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Two-Track Treasures said:

Definitely looks like a sharp rock damaged it. For what it’s worth most pickups I see here at the gold mines run Toyo M55s, M/Ts and R/Ts, or Wrangler Duratracs and I know those tires get the snot beat out of them

I was running Goodyear Wranglers on my trucks, great tires but they ride LOUD. Course they were E rated, which doesn't help. I have "Canadian Tire" brand LT terrain tires on them now, which apparently are relabeled Cooper tires.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Area 51 Rider said:

I was running Goodyear Wranglers on my trucks, great tires but they ride LOUD. Course they were E rated, which doesn't help. I have "Canadian Tire" brand LT terrain tires on them now, which apparently are relabeled Cooper tires.

A lot of tires are actually made in the same plants as big name brands, I recently learned. The Ironman All Country boggers I currently have on my Jeep are also apparently from the same Cooper plant. That said, I can’t wait to run out of tread so I can go back to Wranglers or Toyos cause these howl pretty good on the freeway and ride rough on the pavement, but I tested them on a work truck in the past and got 40k miles so I guess I’ll be needing to take more trips 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 3

I have Duratrac's on my RAM, they are a good tire too. I definitely agree, I must have run something sharp over. I have been running the KO2's for many years and they are usually a very reliable tire, and I do a ton of off road travel. I love the Duratrac's on the RAM too, so I will keep Duratrac's on the RAM, but I might change it up on the 4runner when the time comes. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EWU Bob said:

I have Duratrac's on my RAM, they are a good tire too. I definitely agree, I must have run something sharp over. I have been running the KO2's for many years and they are usually a very reliable tire, and I do a ton of off road travel. I love the Duratrac's on the RAM too, so I will keep Duratrac's on the RAM, but I might change it up on the 4runner when the time comes. 

The desert definitely has a way with being harsh on just about everything lol I’ve seen the Toyos and Wranglers fail too, they just happen to be the ones that I’ve seen the least failures 

• Like 2

I have never run Toyo's tires before, but I will look into them when the time comes. It's always hard to move to a new product when one has been reliable for many years, but it's fun to try new products out and see what they can do. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1